Stargazing is easy – on a dark, clear night just head outside and look up to the sky! Make sure the sky is really dark – the best time to go stargazing is in the days before, during and soon after a new moon. Moonlight is beautiful but is obviously very bright and you will likely only see a few of the brightest stars on a night when the moon is out!
Here are just a few other ideas to get the most from your stargazing experience:
- Take a camping chair or blanket to lie on to make sure you are relaxed and comfortable
- On chillier nights wrap up warm and don’t forget a flask of hot chocolate!
- Make sure you let your eyes adjust – they can take around 10-20 minutes to adjust to the night skies!
- As it can take time to get your ‘night vision’ – relax, be patient and enjoy the calm and tranquility while looking up at the universe!
- Perhaps think about downloading a stargazing app to help you know where and what to look out for. There are lots of free apps available which give you a map of the sky and help you identify stars and constellations. Remember to turn the brightness right down if using a smartphone.